Monday / Wednesday Volunteer – Active Retirement Group
About the Active Retirement Group:
This group is open to people over the age of 55. The group aims to provide members with a social environment and outlet where they engage in activities to develop skills which help improve their physical health while keeping alive their mental capacity, as well as their social and emotive well being.
Overview of the Volunteer Role:
We organize activities like physical fitness programmes, board games, cross words, table quizzes, darts, bowls, bingo, and specific courses which vary over time – for example, Irish and How to Use your Mobile Phone. In addition, guest speakers on topics of relevance to the group are scheduled on a monthly basis. Outings are also organised on a monthly basis in consultation with the group.
A Summer programme takes place in the month of July. But perhaps the most important function of the group is the social aspect as many of our members live alone. To reach our full potential and to achieve our goals in the group, we seek new volunteers from time to time to support the ARG coordinator deliver a quality and professional programme to the members.
Tasks for Friday Volunteers:
- Welcome members and ensure they have a seat and a tea/coffee.
- Provide a listening ear to members, particularly those who are vulnerable for various reasons and in need of company.
- Assist the co-ordinator with the organisation and delivery of activities.
- Take responsibility for the group from time to time when the co-ordinator needs to be away from the room.
- Provide cover for the co-ordinator from time to time due to unavoidable absences.
- Attend outings and trips to provide support to co-ordinator, if requested and if available.
- To attend meetings and training days if/when possible.
- To follow the policies and procedures of Ozanam House which can be found in the induction pack or in the office.
- Other general responsibilities in the context of the role as agreed with the co-ordinator.
Volunteers are expected to attend for one day a week – either a Monday or Wednesday – from 10.30am to 12.30pm.
It is also our expectation that volunteers will commit to working with the Active Retirement Group for a minimum of one year.