Ozanam House is now recruiting volunteers to work with the Mens Group on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Overview of the Volunteer Role
We organize activities like computers, exercise, cookery, relaxation and regular outings. But perhaps the most important function of the group is offering its members a social outlet, a place to come and make or meet friends, to develop their confidence and sense of self-respect and self-worth. To reach our full potential and to achieve our goals in the group, we are constantly seeking new volunteers to support the men’s group co-ordinator deliver a qualitative and professional programme to the members.
- Welcome members and ensure they have a seat and a tea/coffee
- Provide a listening ear to members, particularly those who are vulnerable for various reasons and in need of company.
- Develop supportive relationships with the men
- Assist the co-ordinator with the organisation and delivery of activities
- Take responsibility for the group from time to time when the co-ordinator needs to be away from the room.
- Provide cover for the co-ordinator from time to time due to unavoidable absences
- Attend outings and trips to provide support to co-ordinator, if requested and if available
- To attend meetings and training days if/when possible.
- To follow the policies and procedures of Ozanam House which can be found in the induction pack or in the office.
- Other general responsibilities in the context of the role as agreed with the co-ordinator.
Skills, Experience & Qualities Required
- High motivation and engagement to be a volunteer over a longer period of time
- Ability to relate well to people and enjoy dealing with them
- Self-confidence and general ease with other people
- Assertiveness, teamwork and self-reliance
- Openness to supervision and working in a team way
- Intermediate level of English
- Commitment to the ethos of volunteering and community based initiative
- Previous experience is desirable but not essential
Training & Induction
- The volunteer will receive an induction/information night in the centre prior to his/her first inset and will get a general information pack to become familiar with the centre and our procedures
- The volunteer will have an initial meeting with the co-ordinator to receive a role-specific induction and to agree a timetable and schedule of duties in line with the volunteer role description
- Ongoing individual training programmes will be provided if necessary
The group takes place each Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 2:00pm to 5:00 pm
Volunteers are expected to attend for at least one afternoon per week (the exact times and dates of working will be agreed between the volunteer and the programme co-ordinator). The volunteer should commit to a minimum period of nine months.
In addition, we welcome applications from potential volunteers who have specific expertise or skills which they can contribute. The time commitment for these volunteers will vary and be agreed in advance with the co-ordinator.
- Personal development
- The change to contribute towards the social environment of the men to learn new skills and practice old ones
- To be part of a progressive team supporting others to improve their lives
- Opportunity to work in and learn about a community resource centre
- Opportunity to build up valuable work experience
- Tea and coffee will be provided for all volunteers.
If you interested in this role, please contact us now!