Ozanam House is now recruiting members for its Events Committee.
Overview of the Volunteer Role:
Things are busier now than ever in the centre especially with over 500 people using the centre each week. The demands on the service keep growing. Unfortunately our challenge more than ever is to try and keep the funds in place to maintain the service and this challenge is growing each year especially in this difficult funding environment.
To reach our full potential and to achieve our goals in the centre we hold three fundraising events each year in March, June and October. Our biggest success so far has been ‘Ozanam Come Dancing’ held in March each year. This year we managed to raise €36,000 for our youth summer projects.
We succeeded in bringing a number of companies from the private sector on board this year and the funds raised show the benefits of this association. A huge amount of work goes into this event as well as other events we run during the year like our football/ruigby forecast competition we run in June in line with World Cups and European championships, bag packing and car raffles to name a few.
To achieve this we require the support of our events team who work together to bring these events to life. Hence we are constantly seeking new volunteers for our Events Committee. There will be numerous roles on this committee for individuals with different skills.
- To find and plan the venue if/where applicable
- To plan, direct, support and control the events
- To plan, develop and implement advertising for the events
- To utilise networks to engage more representatives from the private sector in our events
- To source companies and sponsors
- To support event organisers and direct them in their work
- To oversee the event on the night taking on various roles as agreed at committee meeting
- Other general responsibilities in the context of the role as agreed in the event committee meetings
Skills, Experience and Qualities Required and Utilised by Events Committee:
- Excellent organizational skills
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
- Good time management skills
- Administrative skills
- Graphic design skills
- Digital media skills
- Social media skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Creative thinking
- Effective problem solving
- Positive and energetic attitude and strong desire to meet goals and commitments
The time commitment is flexible where more hours are required in the weeks and months leading up to the organised events. During this time of planning and preparation for the events the volunteer is expected to commit to 2 hours of work per week to fulfill their tasks. This time can be spent in the centre or at home and the timing is flexible.
In lead up to the events there will be regular meetings every two weeks. The volunteer should commit to at least one event from the planning phase till the event night which will be approximately a period of four months.
Induction and Follow-Ups:
- The events committee member will have an initial meeting with the manager of Ozanam House, Tony Rock, to assess suitability for the role and where applicable and to agree a timetable and schedule of duties in line with the volunteer role description.
- The volunteer will attend an induction/information night in the centre prior to his/her first engagement and will get a general information pack to become familiar with the centre and our procedures.
- In the lead-up to the events there will be regular meetings every two weeks.
- Ongoing support can be expected whenever necessary.
- General volunteer meetings, for all volunteers of the house, will take place twice a year in May and November, volunteers of the Events Committee can attend if they want.
If you have great fundraising skills and ideas, and are interested in this role, please contact us now!