A safe place where people learn and grow,
that serves our needs and enriches our lives
in a supportive, fun and caring environment’
GENERAL WORKSHOP VOLUNTEER
Our organisation & the programme
Ozanam House is a community resource centre run by the Society of Saint Vincent de Paul. It is located on the site of the original clothing and furniture warehouse in a building that has also been used by the Society for a variety of purposes for over 100 years. Since our opening in September 2002 we have continued to develop various programmes and projects aimed at addressing the issue of social exclusion as well as the many needs of the local community.
We organise activities like physical fitness programmes, board games, crosswords, table quizzes, darts, bowls, bingo, and specific courses which vary over time – for example, Irish and How to Use your Mobile Phone. In addition, guest speakers on topics of relevance to the group are scheduled on a monthly basis. Outings are also organised on a monthly basis in consultation with the group. A Summer programme takes place in the month of July. But perhaps the most important function of the group is the social aspect as many of our members live alone. To reach our full potential and to achieve our goals in the group, we seek new volunteers from time to time to support the ARG co-ordinator deliver a quality and professional programme to the members.
Overview of the Volunteer Role
To identify your area of expertise and specific skills that can be used to facilitate a workshop (one-off or series) that would benefit the Active Retirement Group.
Examples of these are:
- Sports, Chair Yoga, Tai Chi, etc.
- Current Events
- Group Discussions
- First Aid
- Reflexology treatments
- Other areas of relevance
- To agree with the programme coordinator a workshop plan in advance
- To source materials to undertake the courses, these will be funded by the centre
- To prepare these courses in advance
- To ensure the room and space are prepared and ready for the participants in advance of the class starting
- To lead the class/workshop with the support at all times of the programme staff – class leaders and assistants
- To review activities with the programme coordinator implementing changes where necessary
- To follow the policies and procedures of Ozanam House which can be found in the induction pack or in the office
The exact times and dates of working will be agreed between the volunteer and the programme co-ordinator. The volunteer should consider committing to the time of the classes/workshops plus extra time for the planning and preparation of the classes/workshops. The Active Retirement Group meets Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10:30 – 12:30. However, due to social distancing restrictions these times may change.
Skills, Experience & Qualities Required
- Expertise and specific skill in an area of relevance to the centre
- Fun and Energy when teaching your skill to a group of people
- Ability to relate well to people and enjoy dealing with them
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good organizational skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Self-confidence towards other people
- Patience, resilience, tolerance and flexibility
- Previous workshop experience is desirable but not essential
Training & Support
- The volunteer will have an initial meeting with the co-ordinator to receive a role-specific induction and to agree a timetable and schedule of duties in line with the volunteer role description
- The volunteer will receive support at all times of the programme staff – class leaders and assistants.
- Special support will be given by the programme coordinator in advance for planning the workshop.
- Personal development
- Sharing knowledge that can help others enrich their lives
- Opportunity to work in and learn about a community resource centre
- Opportunity to build up valuable work experience
- Tea and coffee will be provided for all volunteers
If you have a skill or qualification in an area that you feel will benefit Ozanam House
please contact us!
A meeting will be arranged.
Phone; 087 1836978